Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wonderfully Sweet Surprise



I dropped by the old office earlier this week and my friend Alvin accompanied me. Whilst walking towards the building where the old office is located, I fixed my gaze on an all-too familiar spot in Ortigas Park and was pleasantly surprised – Dolce Divino’s finally opened!

It all started approximately about a year ago. There was a small area adjacent to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf that was blocked off for the longest time in plain white plywood with the Dolce Divino tarpaulin around it. I was curious about what sort of wonderful, sweet surprise they’re able to offer as their signage prominently featured very colorful and delectable gelato. There was very little progress for the longest time until late last year when the structure was finally built and all fixtures were brought in little by little.

Two very plush chairs :)

After a couple more months and I would find warm bodies moving about inside the space several times a week. I was all giggly and excited as I knew it would only be a matter of time – I once spotted the staff whipping up a couple of dishes (taste test maybe?)!

One pink slip later and here we are at the present time. Alvin and I left the old office a little after 10 and I suggested we go to Dolce Divino to grab some dessert (after all, I picked up payment for the stuff that I buy and sell). The little side trip was well worth it!!!

This is what I ordered -- Lemon Tart. The drink adjacent to it was the coffee conconction that Alvin got for himself. For some reason, I really like the taste of lemons and more tangy it is, the better. Simply put, this dessert is pure heaven for someone like me!!! Unluckily for Alvin, this doesn't really suit his taste buds :(

In the middle of enjoying the tart, Alvin started chatting up Chef Erwin Eusebio and we found out some interesting bits about the restaurant. According to Chef Erwin, what makes them unique from all the other gelato places in the metro is that all their conconctions have liquor infused with them (hint, they've a curious dish called Beer Soup**)-- especially the gelatos.

Alvin with Chef Erwin Eusebio

The restaurant's just had their soft opening 2 weeks ago after 2 years of securing all the necessary paperworks in order for them to operate. At present, they do not have any set dates yet on when their grand launch will be but they're targeting sometime this month. They've a seating capacity of 60-70 people (a dozen or so inside; the rest can be on the area adjacent to the restaurant and on the deck on their 2nd floor) and their operating hours are 9 AM to 10 PM Mondays through Saturdays.

Aside from the regular fare they offer, they are able to create specialty menus by request and they certainly welcome reservations for special functions.

I have yet to taste their gelatos due to a heavy dinner so I have no comment as of yet. Next time I'm there, I'll make sure to leave a lot of room for them... and so do for the Beer Soup!




** According to Chef Erwin, they've used beer instead of stock then had the mixture reduced to let the alcohol content evaporate.

DOLCE DIVINO is located at Ortigas Park in Emerald Avenue. Phone number is 986-8125 for inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment